Tuesday, November 18, 2014

An Uber-Threat to journalists

An Uber executive threatened to sic opposition researchers on journalists during a recent "off the record" conversation. He proposed spending $1 million to hire four "top flight" researchers who would dig up dirt and feed it to "journalists" also in Uber's employ.  Reminds me of GM sending private investigators after Ralph Nader when he exposed the dangers of the Corvair.

Here's a link to the article.

Once he was exposed, Emil Michael insisted it was all a misunderstanding and he didn't really mean it. Mmmm.

What also jumped out at me was Uber's "promise" not to snoop on journalists who use its service. It never occurred to me, but if I use Uber and Lyft, they have electronic records of everywhere I go and when. Creepy. The opportunities for abuse are endless.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment