Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pez Pistol

You've heard of Dead Heads and Parrot Heads?

Carolyn Farrlley is a PEZ Head. She is a passionate collector of everything PEZ, including 300 PEZ dispensers and all manner of sweet paraphernalia.

Check out my story about her.

PEZ are originally from Austria, and I recall them when I went there as a child in the late 1960s and early 1970s to visit my grandfather. On one of the trips, someone gave me a PEZ pistol dispenser. It had a magazine that you filled with PEZ and inserted into the handle, and a firing mechanism that moved like a real pistol when you shot one of the rectangular-shaped candies out of the barrel. I recall PEZ flying out of the gun with considerable velocity.

Here's a link showing the exact model and colors of the one I had:

According to this blog, PEZ had to discontinue the toy because kids were shooting candy into their months. Can you say cracked teeth and choking hazard? Luckily, I was never that stupid.

Alas, the pistol broke, plus y wife was never comfortable with it, so I threw it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment