Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Dean

Today, Steve Kotchko, dean of Connecticut's Capitol press corps, begins covering his 40th legislative session. When the veteran radio reporter started out, Richard Nixon was president, legendary Connecticut Democratic Party Chairman John M. Bailey still held sway and Joe Lieberman was a liberal.

I had the privilege of sitting next to Steve during the five years I covered the General Assembly so I got to listen as he taped his reports. I was always awed by his ability to quickly and accurately summarize a press conference or event in a handful of sentences. 

I would add that Steve is also very funny and an all around great guy. Think gravitas meets Bill Murray in "Candy Shack."

Steve sat down with me last week for a story. Here's a link:

http://www.courant.com/community/wethersfield/hc-wethersfield-kotchko-0107-20130107,0,7549131.story

No comments:

Post a Comment